Introduction to Audiences
From the Audience Overview screen you can create and edit audiences, see the statuses of your audience, and export your audiences to a DSP. To create an audience begin by clicking the ‘Create New Audience’ button - read the ‘Creating an Audience’ help article and you can see how to do it in more detail.
Audiences are presented in a table with a number of pre selected columns that cover the key details relating to that audience. Users can select the Column Selection button and display or hide columns to fit their requirements. Column selections will reset when a page is reloaded.
In addition, to find a previously created audiences faster you can use the ‘Quick Search’ console to find them.
The ‘Audiences Overview’ table shows all the audiences created within the organisation either by the organisation itself, or by Carbon’s machine learning (referred to as Intelligent Audiences).
Each Audience is shown with the following indicators:
Name: The name given to the audience during creation.
Status: The current status of the audience from one of:
- Pending: A query that has not finished running. It may still be possible to view the first set of profiles returned from Carbon; whilst more could be found while the query completes.
- Rolling: A query that has been set to continuously run over a specified date range, updating every day, week or month.
- Complete: A query has finished running and all matching profiles have been moved into the audience.
- Synced: An audience has been exported to a third party platform successfully.
- Running: A live audience that adds new profiles to the audience as they are found with matching criteria.
- Failed: There was an error during generation meaning the query could not complete. The Carbon engineering team will be notified of such an event and can help to resolve any issues through your Technical Account Manager.
Audience Reach: The number of profiles matched and currently in the audience.
Created By: The user account that ran the audience query initially.
Date Created: The timestamp of the original query.
To the right of each audience are the Row Action buttons, this is a contextual action menu for that specific row.
Click on the Row Actions button to access a drop down menu that lists the various actions you can take for the given audience including:
- Edit — View the filters making up the audience query and amend them to rerun the audience with the new set of filters. Editing an audience overwrites the previous version of the audience and loads in a new set of profiles based on the new query.
- Export — If you have a DSP connection set up in your account, use this option to export the chosen audience there so it will be available to utilise for campaigns.
- Create Lookalike — Used to extend an audience result set with appropriately matching similar profiles.
- Delete — Removes an audience from the platform so that it is no longer visible to any user. Note that this action cannot be undone.
Intelligent Audiences (IAs) are high value audiences that have been identified by our machine learning algorithms due to their high-engagement nature. As a result IAs enable publishers to command higher fees, advertisers to access more engaged audiences, and users to get an even better user experience.
Note that Intelligent Audiences cannot be edited, they can only be exported.